MTH 05 - Elementary Algebra 6 hours 0 credits
Signed numbers, evaluation of algebraic expressions, linear equations and their graphs, polynomials, factoring, radical expressions, quadratic equations.
Syllabus: pdf, doc
Review Sheet: pdf, tex
Final Exam Information Go to http://www.cuny.edu/testing for more information on the CUNY Elementary Algebra final exam, including sample finals such as http://www2.cuny.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/page-assets/academics/testing/Sample-CEAFE-C-1.pdf
Download ten practice final exams to prepare yourself for the CEAFE (updated July 2016):
Ver. 1, Ver. 2, Ver. 3, Ver. 4, Ver. 5, Ver. 6, Ver. 7, Ver. 8, Ver. 9, Ver. 10
- Professor Andrew McInerney has made a set of lecture notes available. (Fall 2016) pdf
- Professors Parul Laul, Natalia Novak, and Kerry Ojakian have prepared a supplementary problems book Real World Applications in MTH05. (August 2014) pdf
- Right triangles and the Pythagorean Theorem - word, zipped odt, pdf
- Ratios and proportion - word, zipped odt, pdf
- Professor Uma Iyer has prepared a reference text (version 4, Summer 2016): pdf
- Professor Uma Iyer has prepared a workbook (version 3, Summer 2016): pdf, tex.
- Professor Roman Kossak has prepared a Math Vocabulary: pdf
- Professor Madelaine Bates has prepared a multiple choice practice test similar to Compass M2: doc, pdf with solutions: doc, pdf
1. If you do not have computer with internet access, you can find one on campus. There are 14 computer labs located throughout the campus. The locations are listed here
2. The Mathematics Tutorial Lab is located in CPH 303 and is open 7 days a week.
3. Supplemental Instruction STUDY HALLS during the second half of the semester will be announced via Broadcast email and posted here.
Prerequisites: Math 01 or equivalent and RDL 01 if required. Refer to Mathematics Placement Chart or Tool. Barring other exemptions, students place into MTH 05 with an ACCUPLACER score 40≤M5<57 or COMPASS score M1≥35 or COMPASS score 30≤M2<40 .
Corequisite: RDL 02 if required.
Page last updated 12/13/2016
Previous syllabus for 4th edition: pdf
Previous syllabus for 3rd edition: html, word, zipped odt, pdf